Diocesan Conference 2018 Resources
Living & Sharing the Resurrection Life...
...when living with depression and anxiety
Pete Sandford, Sally Ross
At the workshop relating to mental health, we used the video of I Had a Black Dog, His Name Was Depression
There are a number of other videos we use with our Mental Health Awareness Day.
- Ky's Story about Autism
- Psychosis is Nothing Like a Badger
In relation to each video, we explore how the story resonates for us and how we might offer the best welcome to people with those experiences.
For information about different mental health issues.
See resource tiles below for videos
- Depression and anxiety are common so it’s likely that some of us will have experienced these things
- Watch Black Dog Video
- Discuss the following questions in pairs:
- How did you feel when you were watching the video?
- Did it resonate with any of your own experiences?
- How could your church welcome this man?
- How good is your church at supporting people with depression and anxiety?
- Is there anything that you would like to do better or that you would like to develop at your church?
Tips from people with experience of depression and anxiety and information from the diocesan website (including the awareness day in September)
2 Corinthians 4: 7 – 12
A Prayer by Alison Webster (click to expand)
God of Compassion,
You meant us to be both fragile and ordinary.
Silence the voices that say we are not good enough,
Haven’t achieved enough,
Haven’t enough to say for our lives,
That we are not enough.
Help us to know that we are treasure,
We are prized,
We are cherished,
We are loved,
So be with us in our corrugations of feeling:
When our hearts are in downward freefall, be with us
When our minds race with anxiety, be with us
When our throats close in fear, be with us
When sleep will not come, be with us
When waking hurts, be with us.
In the name of Jesus,
Who knew trauma, abuse, despair and abandonment
And has nothing but love for us,
My Learning Plan
As a member I could add this to my learning plan, sign up here